It is a traditional dish made in Ramadan and Eid. It can be made with sugar or jaggery. Kinnam in Malayalam means a steel or copper vessel and the dish is prepared in steam.
- White rice / Basmathi rice – 1 cup, soaked for 3 – 4 hours
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs – 2
- Thick coconut milk – 2 cup.
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin seed – a pinch
- Grind the rice to a smooth paste. Add water into the paste not exceeding double the quantity of rice.
- Sieve the mix in a cloth
- Beat eggs, sugar and cardamom powder
- Grind the rice mix, beaten eggs and coconut milk in the mixer
- Grease a steel vessel with ghee
- The batter should be frothy when you pour it in the vessel
- Steam for 10 mts, then add the cumin seeds and cook for 20 mts more.
- It gets completely set only after it cools.
- You can use a shallow cake pan also.
- The consistency of the batter determines the softness.
- Always taste the sugar before you steam it.